Make a Planned Gift or Bequest
Planning Your Legacy Gift to Jesuit Refugee Service/USA
As you consider your financial and philanthropic priorities—investments, retirement and what you leave behind—you have several choices to help you reach your goals.
Using estate planning is one of the easiest ways support JRS. You can help support Refugees and displaced people with life changing opportunities in 50 countries. For more detailed information about estate planning and making a gift to JRS, please contact Clare Bonsignore, Director of Development 202-629-5948.
Wills and Living Trusts
A bequest to JRS in your will is one of the most common way to provide life-changing support to refugees and displaced people around the world. Beneficiaries (the heirs of the bequest) are the individuals and organizations that are important to you. Whether you wish to donate your entire estate, a portion of your estate, a fixed dollar amount, or a percentage of your assets, bequests are easy to make.
The following language has been approved by the Jesuit Refuge Service/USA as an effective bequest to JRS:
I hereby give to JESUIT REFUGEE SERVICE/USA, (hereinafter referred to as “JRS/USA”) a non-profit charitable organization located in Washington, DC, the following described property: __________
(when giving securities or real property)
OR the sum of: __________OR __________ percent (_______%) of the residue of my estate.
The JRS/USA Board shall use this gift where the need is greatest.
Tax ID number: 52-1355257
IRA Rollover Gifts
In 50 countries JRS is helping to address urgent needs for the most vulnerable and your IRA Rollover Gift can do more to help the most vulnerable. An IRA Rollover is an easy way to help by making a qualified charitable distribution from your traditional or Roth IRA directly to JRS to support our incredible work and avoid increasing your taxable income.
You can make a charitable IRA rollover gift if:
- You are over 70½.
- You transfer funds directly from a traditional IRA or a Roth IRA, and your IRA gifts for a given tax year total $100,000 or less.
- You transfer the gift outright to one or more public charities such as Jesuit Refugee Service/USA, but not to supporting organizations, donor advised funds, charitable trusts or gift annuities.
Remember to consult with your tax planner or financial advisor before making any decisions regarding your IRA account. If you are ready to complete an IRA Rollover gift please contact Clare Bonsignore at 202-629-5948 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Beneficiary Designation to Jesuit Refugee Service/USA
It is possible to name a charity such as Jesuit Refugee Service/USA as a beneficiary of your savings account, investment/brokerage accounts, IRA, 401(k), 403(b), other qualified retirement plan, or insurance policy. This is a simple way to make a gift that has a lasting effect on the lives of the men, women, and children JRS accompanies, serves and advocates for.
Naming a beneficiary is simple and straightforward:
- Request a beneficiary designation form from your plan administrator, insurance provider, or financial institution.
- Complete and return the form to your provider.
Designating a beneficiary does not change your ability control your retirement account or life insurance policy.
- For retirement plans you can continue to make withdrawals throughout your lifetime. You can also change the beneficiary at any time if family circumstances change.
- For insurance plans, you continue to make payments throughout your lifetime, and your beneficiaries only receive funds at the end of your life. You may name more than one beneficiary to ensure your family is cared for as well as fulfilling your philanthropic goals.
If you are considering making a change to your retirement plan, please discuss the change with your professional advisors and your plan administrator.
Note: Beneficiary designations made during your lifetime fall outside of the probate process and override any gifts named in your will. Please be sure to talk to your estate attorney about this distinction.