To see if there are jobs open in other Regions of JRS, please visit the International Office website.
We currently seeking an
Assistant Director of Development for Individual Giving
Jesuit Refugee Service/USA (JRS/USA) is a Roman Catholic agency, sponsored by the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits), whose mission is to accompany, serve and advocate for the right of refugees and the forcibly displaced (www.jrsusa.org.) JRS/USA is currently seeking an Assistant Director of Development for Individual Giving, who will be responsible for managing annual individual giving efforts. This is a fixed-term, part-time, contract position from approximately May 15, 2014-January 15, 2015. There may be an opportunity to extend the position into a permanent role.
Working 15-20 hours per week, the Assistant Director is responsible for managing all aspects of individual giving, including direct mail appeals, donor cultivation and stewardship, online giving, and social media support. The Assistant Director will be responsible for oversight of the Development Assistant who performs gift entry and creation and dissemination of acknowledgement letters.
The Assistant Director will work closely with colleagues as part of a comprehensive Development team of four, under the supervision of the Development Director. This is an excellent opportunity for a dynamic and dedicated individual to have a significant impact on JRS/USA and those we serve by leveraging an already growing individual giving program. From June-September the Development Director will be on leave, and the Assistant Director will be expected to support general functions of the development program under the supervision of the National Director.
Objectives & Responsibilities
• Manage all aspects of direct mail appeals and occasional email appeals to ensure all individual giving goals are met
• Oversee gift entry and the preparation of acknowledgement letters for donors
• Provide logistical, planning and follow-up support for cultivation and fundraising events
• Manage formal communication with donors
• Maintain electronic and hardcopy donor records
• Collaborates with Board of Directors and Development Committee to identify and approach new donors
• Work with Development Director to identify prospects for major and planned giving
• Work with Development Director and National Director to maintain relationships with current and potential donors, including preparation and follow-up for donor meetings and other special communications
• Work with Development Director and Finance office to ensure organizational strength and appropriate record-keeping
• Provide complete administrative support for individual giving and some additional support for overall program
Educational and Professional Experience:
• Five+ years of experience in annual or individual giving with demonstrated success required
• Experience using donor database software required (experience with eTapestry is preferred)
• Bachelor's degree required
• Event planning experience preferred
• Proficiency in MS Office, including Word and Excel required
• Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple responsibilities
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
• Ability to manage time effectively and set priorities
• Ability to take initiative, function independently and exercise good judgment
• Excellent attention to detail
• Demonstrated interest in JRS/USA's mission of accompanying, serving and advocating for the rights of refugees and internally displaced people.
• Familiarity with the Society of Jesus a plus
• Occasional travel may be required
How to Apply
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and salary history and requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use Assistant Director of Development for Individual Giving in the subject line of email correspondence. No phone calls, please. Deadline to apply is May 15, 2014.
JRS/USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age or sexual orientation shall have equal access to positions, limited only by their ability to do the job. Finalist(s) for the position will be subject to a pre-employment background screening as a condition of employment.