Jobs & Volunteering
Learn about opportunities to join our team
unless indicated, all positions are located in our Washington, DC office
The Director of Development reports to the Executive Director of JRS/USA and creates and oversees the implementation and messaging for a strategic approach to fundraising which includes – major gifts, annual giving, special events, planned giving, and grant solicitation. The Director of Development oversees all private fundraising activities, including supervising the Development staff team, managing fundraising timelines, and monitoring fundraising budgets for income and expenditure. In collaboration with the Development team members and other JRS colleagues, the Director of Development leads efforts to raise approximately 4 million USD annually to sustain JRS/USA’s operational and programmatic costs and to provide significant assistance to JRS international programming. The Director of Development supervises a team of 4 direct reports and the position is based in Washington, D.C. with an estimated 15-20% of travel domestically and internationally.
- Supervise Development team and all components of the Development program.
- Works with Development team to:
- Manage a dedicated portfolio of major donors and prospects.
- Prepare and submit funding applications and reports.
- Plan and execute fundraising campaigns and regular appeals.
- Identify and develop corporate, community and individual prospects.
- Serve as liaison to the Development Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Direct planning and execution of special fundraising events.
- Oversee the administration of a coordinated constituent relationship management system, Salesforce.
- Collaborate closely with JRS International and serve as a partner to lead global development efforts for JRS.
- Develop and manage fundraising budgets for income and expense.
- Oversee and undertake stewardship for all donors, with the aim to deepen donor relationships with JRS.
- Collaborate with other JRS/USA departments.
- Engage volunteers for special development projects
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- 7-10 years of experience in development work, including demonstrated ability to secure major gifts and manage development staff.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Willingness to travel nationally and internationally.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and fundraising database systems (Salesforce experience a plus).
- Knowledge of the mission of the Society of Jesus and familiarity with Jesuit Refugee Service helpful.
- Prior experience with global humanitarian NGOs also helpful.
To apply please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.