From our cookbook collection
- 1 pound dried lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups diced carrot
- 2 cups diced celery
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces pancetta, diced
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, combine the lentils, onion, carrots, celery, bay leaves and 2 quarts of water.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the lentils are tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Drain and remove the bay leaves. Scrape the lentils and vegetables into a serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the pancetta and cook until crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Pour off most of the fat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of fresh olive oil.
- Add the wine and vinegar and season the dressing with the salt. Bring to a quick boil, then pour the dressing over the lentils.
- Toss with the parsley and serve.